As a Personal Trainer I love Performance Goals. So when Tom Freud entered the gym here at ESPA Life, and told me he was planning to do a Half Ironman a smile quickly spread across my face (not that I don’t smile anyway...!!!). It’s a huge challenge, particularly as Tom has never participated in an extreme endurance challenge before. Although I think it’s fair to say both I and Tom enjoy challenges and we quickly developed an understanding. It is going to be a test of strength, endurance and character, but I’m confident he can perform well with the correct structure to his training.
As a Personal Trainer I need to know everything about this event, so appropriate initial research is the first thing to do. I have raced over Half marathon before and also over distances on the bike, but have never competed in a 70.3 Ironman. This is another reason why the initial research is so important. It is also fair to say, training for an Ironman is unlike any other event. It is the ultimate endurance test, and to get results, preparation is vital.
- Competition: 70.3 Ironman. (Half Ironman)
- Location: St Polten, Austria.
- Exercise Type: Long duration Aerobic exercise. 1.2 mile swim (Lake), 56 mile bike (road), 13.1 mile run (road).
- Typical Environmental Condition, St Polten, May:
- Avg low: 11° | Avg hi: 21° | Avg precip: 0.16 cm
- Exercise Frequency: One off Event. Sunday 26th May 2013.
- Causes of Fatigue: Hypoglycaemia, Dehydration and Hyperthermia, Depletion of Muscle glycogen and Liver glycogen, impaired SR and mitochondrial function (due possibly to free radical damage), Heat Exhaustion, Cramps, GI Disturbances.
- Other causes of DNF: Crash, Punctures, GI distress, Heat Exhaustion, Acute injury (Breaks, muscle strains, sprains), Chronic injury (Achilles tendonitis, Calf tightness etc...)
- Possible Sports Nutrition Strategies: CHO Loading, Pre CHO intake 1-4 hours before event, CHO/Fluid intake during event, Hydration strategies before event, Supplementation PRO, antioxidants, Fe, Zn, Mg.
- Time of Competition: 07:00 Swim Start – Expected finish Approx 12:30
- (Swim 45-60 min), (Bike 160 min-200min), Run (105min-120min)
- Estimated Total Duration: - 5Hours - 6hours 20min.
I will refer back to this information often. The main reason is that training has to always be specific to the task in hand. There is no point, for example, regularly training the ‘Phosphagen’ energy system when the causes of fatigue are predominately a depletion of muscle and liver glycogen through the ‘Aerobic’ energy system. Training at a higher intensity serves its purpose (discussed later), even in an Ironman, but with a total expected competition duration of over 5 hours, training for long durations will be essential.
Another important requirement is the Initial assessment, including a comprehensive health check, exercise screening, Body composition test and Cardio and pulmonary exercise testing (CPEX testing). With this information I can then start to individualise the training, according to the results of the testing and in relation to his goals.
Next week Ironman Part 2 – Assessing an Athlete
Thanks What a great info you have given us by your blog. I like it and will share it to my friends.ReplyDelete
Coral Springs family dentist
This blog post really grabbed my attention. With that said I am going to subscribe. Therefore I will get more updates on what you have to say. Please keep writing as I want to learn more.ReplyDelete
bulk medical supplies
Thank you so much! This is definitely an fantastic web page Generic ViagraReplyDelete
The blog has a to a great degree limit center that augments, shockingly into extensive variety of concerns.ReplyDelete
olympic triathlon training
Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks visit the websiteReplyDelete
Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. click hereReplyDelete
This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! learn moreReplyDelete
The concept of longboarding originated when Hawaiian surfers wanted to move their hobby to land, especially during times when the waves were too small for good surf. her latest blogReplyDelete